12/31/2008

What games can be

Perhaps I should state more specifically what I look for in games and what I see in them.

I believe that games can be more than simply aiming to be "fun".
There is no clear definition of fun as there is no clear definition of art.
Whenever I read about a game that is fun, I think in my mind that the writer actually meant playful. A game is playful when it is firstly accessible in its premise, no hidden messages to be found, the controls are quick and responsive, little long term consequence. Everything simply reacts instantly, you get immediate and a lot of the time over the top response from, let's say, shooting a combustible barrel. It explodes. Quick and easy.






I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed these types of games in the past, or still enjoy some of them now, it's just that I'm looking for something more, something more psychologically demanding, something more universal, something more human. I feel that most games, even though they have these amazing production values from a technical standpoint, are flat.
I'm not saying these games shouldn't exist, I'm saying there should be games that go deeper into the human psyche.
This might be confused with mechanical game complexity, with loads of different variables for the player to handle, to keep an eye on. RPG's, FPS's come to mind the most.

No comments: