12/30/2008

Ludo Lingo

I'll post under this title when I think I've discovered a new piece of game language.
What I mean by that is I think games have a language that makes them understandable the same way movies and comics have.
Take for instance the panoramic establishing shot followed by an in-door shot. You know by seeing these in sequence that the director meant that the first shot was the enviroment in which the second shot took place.
There are all sorts of tricks of this kind, and I think games have them too.

With this explanation, I'll point you to Passage.

In this game, at least the way I played it, I picked up the girl, she followed me around and through the course of this 5 min game, I became more accustomed, more attached, more familiar with this girl following me around. It became the closest thing to a relationship I have seen in a game. Because that is what relationships are, sharing, becoming one, being connected to the other.
And when I lost her, I felt quite shocked, since I didn't have that part of me with me anymore.
I thought this was a great technique to sort of simulate what a relationship meant by simple behaviour.
I thought it was great for that reason.

No comments: